<$BlogRSDURL$>
.................................................
kate and pansy
think about taking over the world
but instead decide to take another drink
Thursday, July 29, 2004

I wasn't going to blog about my family. I really wasn't. But they are just so entertaining, well, here it goes...(and I know I should be able to blog in such a way that I have a nice link here that would go to my big long post about my family and those who don't want to know about their various shenigans could look away, but I have no idea how to accomplish that and yes, I have trawled through blogger help).

First, my favorite sister story. My sister is a lot of things I am not. A size 10 (that is UK size 10, try american size 6), blond, single mother of four, drives landrover, exists off benefits, trained as a hairdresser. I like her. Really. However, she explained to me one night in a bar about the guy who looks after her landrover. He is the mechanic her father used for years before moving to France. Sylvester, who is recently divorced, does all sorts of things on the car and never charges her a penny. In addition, he takes her out for the occasional meal and recently took her shopping. He bought her a lovely matching bra and knicker set that costs £150. Why am I am amused/taken aback by this? Simple, my sister maintains that Sylvester does all this out of the goodness of his heart. He has no romantic or sexual aspirations. Call me a cynic, but I have my doubts.

I also have a brother. I am not that fond of him. Possibly because he falls in the rightwing fascist side of the family (in fact, he could be their staunchest member), he is grumpy and in capable of making himself happy, he keeps my mother awake at night worrying, he has abysmal taste in music. I have my reasons. Anyway, he is divorced. I usually refer to the ex-wife as the psychotic ex-wife or my psychotic ex-sister-in-law (my father uses other terms). Anyway, the ex remarried since divorce to a guy called Will. It seems a few weeks ago, Will went out of town on business for the weekend. The ex packed up all the stuff in the house and moved it into a new house she had bought in another state. She did leave a few boxes behind. Strangely enough, Will isn't letting her into the house to collect them. I don't know if Will is the third or fourth marriage to well, not really work.

So, I don't really feel the need to watch soaps anymore; I catch up on the family news instead. I stopped watching Eastenders several years ago because I was reading A Suitable Boy. It was much more interesting and I only have so much recreational time. I suppose I must hope that we don't get a murder or something in the family to keep up the drama but otherwise, I think it might all be in there.


posted at 2:46 AM

Comments: Post a Comment
push/click arrows to scroll.

Just like the state of nature, nasty, brutish and short...I was always fond of the nickname 'Craxi'...Sometimes I cook, sometimes I tend bar, sometimes I even knit. Mostly I try not to read the plethora of government publications that cross my desk and write one page summaries.
favorite food: lobster. ben and jerry's ice cream
favorite show: CSI
favorite drink: grey goose vodka (with ice, it doesn't need anything else)
age: far older than I like to admit/contemplate



archives
« expat express »





| maystar designs